Pages: 945-947DOI: 10.46327/msrjg.1.000000000000196
Date of Publication: 30-Nov--0001
Solitary Fibrous Tumor of the Pleura: A Simple Solution with a Simple Technique
Author: Muhammad Hafiz Ismail, Loo Guo Hou, Hairolfaizi Haron, Mohd Ramzisham bin Abdul Rahman
Category: JMSR Oncology
Surgery has been the mainstay of treatment in managing patients with lung or pleural tumors. Surgery can be either a video-assisted or an open technique. Pre-operative investigation such as computed tomography (CT) scan of the thorax has been an important tool of assessment in deciding the approach of surgery. Traditionally, a tumor of more than 6 cm would necessitate an open approach. Herein, we would like to report a patient with a large solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura which was thoracoscopically excised and evacuated in an unconventional approach.
Keywords: Solitary fibrous tumor, VATS, Pleura
- Ichiki, Y., Kakizoe, K., Hamatsu, T. et al. Solitary fibrous tumor of the lung: a case report. surg case rep 3, 10 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40792-016-0286-7
- Ordóñez, N. G. Localized (Solitary) Fibrous Tumor of the Pleura. Advances in Anatomic Pathology 7, 327–340 (2000).
- Ferretti, G. R., Chiles, C., Choplin, R. H. & Coulomb, M. Localized benign fibrous tumors of the pleura. American Journal of Roentgenology 169, 683–686 (1997).
- Hammas N, Douida A, Serghouchni K I, Chbani L, El Fatemi H. Malignant solitary fibrous tumor: a report of two cases. Journal of medical and Surgical Research –JMSR 2018; V(1): 508–511.
- Sung, S. H. et al. Solitary Fibrous Tumors of the Pleura: Surgical Outcome and Clinical Course. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery 79, 303–307 (2005).
- Lu C, Ji Y & Shan F. solitary fibrous tumor of the pleura: an analysis of 13 cases. World J Surg 32, 8 (2008).
- Agzarian, J. & Shargall, Y. Open thoracic surgery: video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) conversion to thoracotomy. Shanghai Chest 1, 31–31 (2017).