Pages: 410-416DOI: 10.46327/msrjg.1.000000000000098
Date of Publication: 30-Nov--0001
The Results of Conservative Approaches for Pulmonary Hydatid Cysts.
Author: Fouad Atoini, Aziz Ouarssani, Mounia Serraj, Yassine Ouadnouni, Mohammed Smahi.
Category: JMSR Surgery
Pulmonary hydatid cysts remains a public health problem in Morocco. We present the results of the conservative methods for treating the pulmonary hydatid cysts in 56 patients including the giants forms (? 10 cm) and the complicated cases. 71 cystectomies, one pericystectomy and one wegde resection realized by thoracotomy. There were 33 men and 23 women. The median age was 25 years (range 8-64 years). The lower lobes were affected in 72%. Hepatic cysts were associated in 13 patients (23%). The median duration of postoperative drainage was 6 days (range 2-48 days) and the median duration of hospitalization was 9 days (range 5-28 months). The median duration of follow-up was 15 months (range 3-46 months). Univariate analysis did not reveal significance when we compared the postoperative course according to the localizations on the lungs, the nature of the cysts, the presence of infection and the size of cysts. The conservative approaches, mainly cystectomies area safe and effective method for lung hydatid cysts, if the closure of the bronchial fistulas is well performed, that the capitonnage is adapted to the size of the residual cavity, and its location in the lung to avoid bronchial torsion and deformation. We suggest this technique for the management of lung hydatid cysts, outside the cases of significant destroyed pulmonary parenchyma mainly thus located on the middle lobe. We believe that lobectomy must be taken very carefully, mainly in infant and the older patients.
Keywords: Cystectomy, Hydatid Cyst, Lung, Morocco, Results, Surgery
1. Sarkar M, Pathania R, Jhobta A, Thakur BR, Chorpa R. Cystic pulmonary hydatidosis. Lung India 2016;33:179-191
2. Y. Cherradi, R. Afifi, W. Khannoussi, M. Firwana, A. Rahaoui, M. Benazouz and all. Long term results of percutaneous management of liver hydatid cysts: experience of university hospital in endemic region. Journal of Medical and Surgical Research (J.Med.Sur.Res.) 2016;3 (2):275-281
3. Sadrizadeh A, Haghi SZ, Masuom SHF, Bagheri R, Dalouee MN. Evaluation of the effect of pulmonary hydatid cyst location on the surgical technique approaches. Lung India 2014;31 (4):361-365
4. Ulku R, Yilmaz HG, Onat S, Ozcelik C. Surgical treatment of pulmonary hydatid cysts: reports of 139 cases. International Surgery 2006;91(2):77-81
5. Nabi MS, Waseem T. Pulmonary hydatid disease: what is the optimal surgical strategy? International Journal of Surgery 2010;8:612-616
6. Athanassiadi K, Kalavrouziotis G, Loutsidis A, Bellenis I, Exarchos N. Surgical treatment of echinococcosis by a transthoracic approach: a review of 85 cases. Eur J CardiothoracSurg 1998;14:134-140
7. Achir A, Ouadnouni Y, Smahi M, Bouchikh M, Msougar Y, Lakranbi M, Benosman A. pulmonary hydatidosis. Maroc Médical 2006; 28(4):228-235
8. Sehitogullari A. Our results in surgical treatment of hydatid cyst of the lungs. Eur J Gen Med 2007;4:58
9. Usluer O, Ceylan KC, Kaya S, Sevinc S, Gursoy S. Surgical management of pulmonary hydatid cysts: is size an important prognostic indicator? Tex Heart Inst J.2010;37(4):429-434
10. Sokouti M, Pezeshkian M, Ghabili K, Golzari S. Surgical procedures and postoperative complications in patients with giant and non-giant pulmonary hydatid cysts. Life Science J 2013;10(1): 138-142
11. Kocer B, Gulbahar G, Han S, Durukan E, Dural K, Sakinci U. An analysis of clinical features of pulmonary giant hydatid cyst in adult population. Am J Surg 2009;197:177-181
12. Kabiri el-H, Caidi M, al Aziz S et al. Surgical treatment ofhydatidothorax. Series of 79 cases. ActaChir. Belg. 2003;103:401-404
13. Kabiri el H, Traibi A, El Hammoumi M, El Oueriachi F, Arsalane A. Parenchyma sparing procedures is possible for most pulmonary hydatid disease without recurrence and low complications.Med Arch. 2012;66(5):332-335
14. Isitmangil T, Sebit S, Tunc H et al. Clinical experience of surgical therapy in 207 patients with thoracic hydatidosis over a 12-year-period. Swiss Med. Wkly. 2002;132: 548-552
15. Dakak M, Genc O, Gurkok S et al. Surgical treatment for pulmonary hydatidosis (a review of 422 cases). J. R. Coll. Surg.Edinb. 2002;47: 689- 692
16. Yena S, Sanogo ZZ, Keita A et al. Surgery for pulmonary hydatidcyst in Mali. Ann. Chir. 2002; 127: 350-355
17. Aldahmashi M, Alassal M, Kasb I, Elrakhawy H. Conservative surgical management for pulmonary hydatid cyst: analysis and outcome of 148 cases. Can Respir J. 2016;2016:8473070.
18. Hasdiraz L, Oguzkaya F, Bilgin M. Is lobectomy necessary in the treatment of pulmonary hydatid cysts? ANZ J. Surg. 2006;76:488-490