Date of Publication: 30-Nov--0001
Cancer Incidence in Northern Central Moroccan Patients
Author: Hajar El Hilali, Fatiha El Hilali, Mustapha Samih, Fatiha Laziri.
Category: JMSR Oncology
Purpose: Cancer remains a major health problem around the globe. Therefore, more efforts are needed to understand trends, causes, and distribution of cancer to control cancer epidemiology. The objective of this research was to investigate the association between cancer incidence and demographic and clinical data in Meknes, Morocco, North Africa.
Methods: A number of 1380 cancer patients were studied at the Oncology Center of Meknes, Morocco. The correlation between cancer incidence and demographic and clinical data were conducted using Sample Power for Statistical Power package.
Results: There was higher proportion of females among cancer patients. The 5 most common sites of cancer diagnosed in this population sample were: the breast cancer, followed by cervix, colon-rectum, bronchus and lung. The average length of treatment is 123.76 days. 45.3% of the patients were treated with chemotherapy. A significant (p?0.05) association was found between cancer incidence and gender, age, cancer site, length of treatment, and type of treatment.
Conclusions: These significant associations between cancer incidence and demographic and clinical data will significantly contribute to our understanding of cancer incidence in this area as this study is the first report within population. This study will help for disease control, prevention, and management.
Keywords: Cancer incidence, Cancer site, Clinical data, Demographic data
- -World Health Organization. World Cancer Report 2014, 2014, accessed 24.01.2017 http://www.who.int/.
- - Cancer Facts & Figures. Édition 2015, American Cancer Society. Accessed on 1.30.2017. https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/research/cancer-facts-and-statistics/annual-cancer-facts-and-figures/2015/cancer-facts-and-figures-2015.pdf.
- -Hecht S S. Lung Carcinogenesis by Tobacco Smoke. Int J Cancer. 2012; 131(12): 2724-2732.
- - Moore MA. Diverse influences of dietary factors on cancer in Asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2009;10(6):981-6.
- - Garcia D O, Thomson C A. Physical Activity and Cancer Survivorship. Nutr Clin Pract. 2014; 29(6): 768-779.
- - Mu L, Mukamal KJ. Alcohol consumption and rates of cancer screening: Is cancer risk overestimated? Cancer Causes Control. 2016; 27(2):281-9. doi: 10.1007/s10552-015-0692-3.
- - Welch H G, Schwartz L M, Woloshin S. Are increasing 5-year survival rates evidence of success against cancer? JAMA. 2000; 283:2975-2978.
- - Cialdella-Kam L, Sabado P, Bernstein L, Bispeck K, Hawk E, Krawiec V, O'Donnell J F, Silverman S. Implementing cancer prevention into clinical practice. J Cancer Educ. 2012; 27(0 2): S136-S149.
- - Registre des cancers de la région du Grand Casablanca. 2005-2006-2007. Édition 2012. Association Lalla Salma de lutte contre le Cancer.
- - Les cancers en France. Édition 2014, Institut national du Cancer, France.
- - Galceran J, Ameijide A, Carulla M, Mateos A, Quirós JR, Rojas D, Alemán A, Torrella A, Chico M, Vicente M, Díaz JM, Larrañaga N, Marcos-Gragera R, Sánchez MJ, Perucha J, Franch P, Navarro C, Ardanaz E, Bigorra J, Rodrigo P, Bonet RP. Cancer incidence in Spain, 2015. Clin Transl Oncol. 2017. doi: 10.1007/s12094-016-1607-9.
- - Wellings E, Vassiliades L, Abdalla R. Breast cancer screening for high-Risk patients of different ages and risk - which modality is most effective? Cureus. 2016; 8(12): e945. doi: 10.7759/cureus.945
- - Public Health England. National Cancer Intelligence Network Older people and cancer, Version 3.0 - reissued June 2015. www.gov.uk/phe.
- - Engbang J P N, Koh VM , Tchente C N , Fewou A. Histo-epidemiological aspects of genital cancers in women in the Littoral Region, Cameroon. Pan Afr Med J. 2015; 21: 116. doi: 10.11604/pamj.2015.21.116.6755.
- - N'Dah KJ, Doukoure B, Troh E, Aman NA, Koffi KE, Kouamé AD, Effi AB, D'Horpock AFS, Diomande MIJ-M. Epidemiological and histological aspects of women genital cancers in Côte d'Ivoire . OJOG. 2014; 4:516-23.
- - Shariat S F, Sfakianos J P, Droller M J, Karakiewicz P I, Meryn S, Bochner B H. The effect of age and gender on bladder cancer: a critical review of the literature. BJU International. 2009; 105: 300-308.
- - Powathil G G, Adamson D J A, Chaplain M A J. Towards predicting the pesponse of a solid tumour to chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatments: Clinical insights from a computational model. PLoS Comput Biol. 2013; 9(7): e1003120.doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003120
- - Genden EM, Ferlito A, Silver CE, Takes RP, Suárez C, Owen RP, Haigentz M Jr, Stoeckli SJ, Shaha AR, Rapidis AD et al. Contemporary management of cancer of the oral cavity. EuArch Otorhinolaryngol. 2010; 267: 1001-7.
- - National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health, accessed 24.01.2017. www.cancer.gov
- - Nani S, Benallal M, Hassoune S, Kissi D, Maaroufi A. Participation des médecins généralistes de la province de Benimellal (Maroc) dans le dépistage du cancer du col. Pan Afr Med J. 2013; 14: 152. doi: 10.11604/pamj.2013.14.152.2570