Date of Publication: 30-Nov--0001
Agenesis and Shortness Roots of Permanent Teeth Following Antineoplastic Chemo-Radiation Therapy: a Case Report
Author: J. Hammouti, Fz Benkarroum, H. Chhoul
Category: JMSR Oncology
Chemotherapy and radiotherapy in head and neck may have serious effects on developing teeth such as delayed dental development, microdontia, hypoplasia, agenesis and V-shaped and shortened roots... the effect of chemotherapy and radiotherapy on developing dentition has been widely demonstrated. Survivorship care for patients with cancer requires a multidisciplinary approach, including early involvement of the dental team. This article intends to document a case of agenesis and shortness roots of permanent teeth secondary to chemo-radiation therapy in a 15-year-old boy.
Keywords: Chemo-radiation therapy, Dental abnormalities, Root agenesis
- Hafiz A, Mufeed A, Bharadwaj P, Rao D. Dental root agenesis following radiation and antineoplastic therapy: A Case Report. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2016; 34:96-99.
- Owosho AA, Brady P, Wolden SL, Wexler LH, Antonescu CR, Huryn JM, Estilo CL. Long-term effect of chemotherapy–intensity-modulated radiation therapy (chemo-IMRT) on dentofacial development in head and neck rhabdomyosarcoma patients. Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2016; 33(6):383-392.
- Estilo CL, Huryn JM, Kraus DH, Sklar CA, Wexler LH, Wolden SL, Zlotolow IM. Effects of Therapy on Dentofacial Development in Long-Term Survivors of Head and Neck Rhabdomyosarcoma: The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Experience. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2003; 25(3):215-222.
- Kaste SC, Hopkins KP, Bowman LC. Dental Abnormalities in long-Term Survivors of Head and Neck Rhabdomyosarcoma. Med Pediatr Oncol. 1995; 25(2):96-101.
- Carrillo CM, Pires Correa FN, Fontana Lopes NN, Fava M, Filho VO. Dental anomalies in children submitted to antineoplastic therapy. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2014; 69(6): 433–437.
- Minicucci EM, Lopes LF, Crocci AJ. Dental abnormalities in children after chemotherapy treatment for acute lymphoid leukemia. Leuk Res. 2003; 27(1):45-50.
- Möller P, Perrier M. Dento-maxillofacial sequelae in a child treated for a rhabdomyosarcoma in the head and neck A case report. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1998; 86(3):297-303.
- Najafi SH, Tohidastakrad Z, Momenbeitollahi J. Long-Term Effects of Chemo Radiotherapy on Oral Health and Dental Development in Childhood Cancer. J Dent (Tehran). 2011; 8(1): 39–43.
- Nawrocki L, Libersa P, Porée F, Lambilliotte A, Mazingue F, Nelken B, Libersa JC. Antineoplastic chemotherapy and dental development. Med Buccale Chir Buccale 2003; 9: 7-20.
- Av?ar A, Elli M, Darka O, Pinarli G. Long-term effects of chemotherapy on caries formation, dental development, and salivary factors in childhood cancer survivors. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 104(6):781-789.
- Näsman M, Forsberg CM, Dahllöf G. Long-term dental development in children after treatment for malignant disease. Eur J Orthod. 1997; 19(2):151-159.