Date of Publication: 30-Nov--0001
Radiological Appearances of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma (PCNSL)
Author: Y. A. Lamrani, B. Alami, A. Housni, H. El Fattach, M. Boubbou, M. Maaroufi
Category: JMSR Oncology
Primary central nervous system lymphomas (PCNSL) are uncommon tumours, accounting for only 2% of primary brain tumors. Recently many investigators have showed interest in MRI characteristics for aiding in diagnosis and stratify prognosis.
In this article, we aimed to review characteristic findings on traditional and advanced Imaging seen in immune competent patients with intracranial primary CNS lymphoma (PCNSL).
CT scan and MRI examinations of 15 immunocompetent patients with biopsy-proven PCNSL were retrospectively evaluated. T1 and T2 signal characteristics as well as contrast enhancement features are described in all patients. Diffusion, perfusion and proton-MR-spectroscopy features are described in a subset of these patients.
Keywords: Primary Central Nervous System Lymphomas (PCNSL), Radiological Appearances
1. Ricard D, Idbaih A, Ducray F, Lahutte M, HoangXuan K, DelattreJY. Primary brain tumours in adults. The Lancet. 2012 Jun1;379(9830):1984-96.
2. L.M. De Angelis, "Primary central nervous system lymphoma," Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 135, pp. 155-169, 1994.
3. A. J. M. Ferreri, M. Reni, and E. Villa, "Primary central nervous system lymphoma in immunocompetent patients,"Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 415-446, 1995.
4. Tang YZ, Booth TC, Bhogal P, Malhotra A, Wilhelm T. Imaging of primarycentral nervous system lymphoma. ClinRadiol, 2011 Aug; 66(8):768-77.
5. Küker W, Nägele T, Korfel A, Heckl S, Thiel E, Bamberg M, Weller M,Herrlinger U. Primary central nervous system lymphomas (PCNSL): MRI features at presentation in 100 patients. J Neurooncol. 2005 Apr; 72(2):169-77.
6. I. S. Haldorsen, A. Espeland, and E. M. Larsson, "Central nervoussystem lymphoma: characteristic findings on traditionaland advanced imaging," American Journal of Neuroradiology,vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 984-992, 2011.
7. Osborn A G, Blaser SI, Salzman KL. Diagnostic imaging: brain. 1ST ED.Salt Lake City. Amirsys. 2004.
8. Haldorsen IS, Krakenes J, Krossnes BK, et al. CT and MR imaging features ofprimary central nervous system lymphoma in Norway, 1989-2003. AJNRAm J Neuroradiol2009;30:744-51
9. Weaver JD, Vinters HV, Koretz B, et al. Lymphomatosiscerebri presenting asrapidly progressive dementia. Neurologist 2007;13:150-53
10. Coulon A, Lafitte F, Hoang-Xuan K, et al. Radiographic findings in 37 casesof primary CNS lymphoma in immunocompetent patients. EurRadiol2002;12:329-40
11. Zacharia TT, Law M, Naidich TP, Leeds NE: Central nervous system lymphoma characterization by diffusion-weighted imaging and MRspectroscopy. J Neuroimaging 2008, 18:411- 17.
12. Calli C, Kitis O, Yunten N, et al. Perfusion and diffusion MR imaging in enhancing malignant cerebral tumors. Eur J Radiol 2006;58:394-403
13. A. Doskaliyev, F. Yamasaki, M. Ohtaki et al., "Lymphomas and glioblastomas: differences in the apparent diffusion coefficientevaluated with high bvalue diffusion-weighted magnetic resonanceimaging at 3T," European Journal of Radiology, vol. 81, no.2, pp. 339-344, 2012.
14. Barajas RF, Rubenstein JL, Chang JS, Hwang J, CHA S: Diffusion-Weighted MR Imaging Derived Apparent Diffusion Coefficient Is Predictive ofClinical Outcome in Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2010, 31(1):60-66.
15. Hartmann M, Heiland S, Harting I, et al. Distinguishing of primary cerebral lymphoma from high-grade glioma with perfusion-weighted magnetic resonanceimaging. NeurosciLett 2003; 338:119-22
16. Hakyemez B, Erdogan C, Bolca N, et al. Evaluation of different cerebral mass lesions by perfusionweighted MR imaging. J MagnReson Imaging 2006;24:817-24
17. Tallibert S, Guillevin R, Menuel C, et al. Brain lymphoma: usefulness of themagnetic resonance spectroscopy. J Neurooncol 2008; 86(2):225-229.
18. Asem Mansour, MontherQandeel, Hikmat AbdelRazeq and Hussain Ali Abu Ali. MR imaging features of intracranial primary CNS lymphoma in immune competent patients.Cancer Imaging 2014, 7;14:22
19. T. Lim, S. J. Kim, K. Kim et al., "Primary CNS lymphoma other thanDLBCL: a descriptive analysis of clinical features and treatment outcomes," Annals of Hematology, vol. 90, no. 12, pp.1391-1398, 2011.